Topics Topics

Poisonous mushroom warning

With rain bringing out the first serious showing of mushrooms this year, medics are warning foragers to be sure of identifying their fungi accurately or risk potentially life-threatening consequences.

Rīga Eastern Clinical University Hospital said it was already treating four members of one family who have been poisoned with the notorious Death Cap Mushroom after mistakenly ingesting it. This is the deadliest mushroom in the world, the hospital added.

Every year misidentification of mushrooms accounts for hospitalisations and occasionally even worse consequences as foragers venture into the forests in large numbers. Medics and mycologists alike urge members of the public only to pick and eat specimens that can be identified with 100% certainty. 

The best policy is to take the advice of an experienced and knowledgeable mushroomer.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue