"The European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA), joint venture of the Baltic States RB Rail AS, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of Estonia, the Ministry of Transport of Latvia and the Ministry of Transport and Communications of Lithuania signed [an] additional cross-border Grant Agreement on the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) funding for Rail Baltica," said a statement from RB Rail.
The total budget of the Agreement is 19.7 million euros, of which the CEF contribution will be of a maximum amount of 16.7 million euros or 85% of total eligible costs under this agreement. The remaining 15% will be financed by the governments of the Baltic States.
“The additional Connecting Europe Facility and Baltic states funding not only once again reconfirms the strong commitment of the EU and Baltic partners to this unique cross-border project, but will also enable to finalise the remaining planning stage works, accelerate the Global project delivery by starting design procurements of missing links on the critical Kaunas - Lithuania/Poland border section as well as Kaunas – Vilnius, and facilitate start of mainline construction procurement in Latvia,” said Agnis Driksna, Chair of the Management Board of Rail Baltica Joint Venture RB Rail AS.
“It also includes several important studies such as delivering the next generation Cost-Benefit Analysis and Business Plan for Rail Baltica. Finalisation of the already started design-type activities for railway facilities and mainline to reach readiness for construction remains the utmost priority between project partners” Driksna added.
The Grant Agreement includes various activities in all three Baltic states:
- Design of Kaunas railway infrastructure in station area (Phase I) in Lithuania;
- Design of Kaunas infrastructure maintenance facility in Lithuania;
- Design modifications to enable Riga Node operational developments in Latvia;
- Modification of Riga Central Station railway section detailed technical design, based on the Rail
- Baltica operational plan in Latvia;
- Cekule site study, identification of unexploded ordinance (UXO) in former Cekule military area in Latvia;
- Pärnu County Planning in Estonia;
- Financing has also been granted for joint Rail Baltica chainage and geodetic reference network development study across the Baltic countries and IT architecture development strategy.