The Disease Prevention and Control Center said it had received information about the mass poisoning in Liepāja in the morning from the Food and Veterinary Service. The center has launched an investigation into the incident.
The Food and Veterinary Service's spokeswoman Ilze Meistere told LETA that several employees told Lauma Lingerie that they would not be at work today, explaining that they did not feel well after yesterday's lunch at the canteen. The management at both Lauma Lingerie and Baltic Restaurants Latvia informed the Food and Veterinary Service about the development, and the service's officers visited Lauma Lingerie to carry out inspections.
Catering company Baltic Restaurants Latvia informed LETA that, taking into account that several Lauma Lingerie employees could have contracted a gastrointestinal infection, the company's canteen at Lauma Lingerie was closed.
"We decided to close the restaurant temporarily given the current season of viral infections and several outbreaks in different cities of Latvia," the company said in a statement.
As reported, more than 60 children contracted an intestinal infection at Smiltene High School earlier this month. Before that, in September 24 residents of Sigulda, including children from pre-school groups, reported symptoms of food poisoning. In seven cases Escherichia coli bacteria was been confirmed and four children developed serious complications.