The order will be in force until August 12, requiring the local government and its subordinate authorities to comply with enhanced security measures, the restrictions being similar to those imposed previously in the rest of the country during the national state of emergency.
The chairman of the City Council, a member of the Greens and Farmers Union, Normunds Audzišs, issued the order because the number of people infected with COVID-19 has risen sharply in recent days.
"Local authorities will comply with these security measures. Consequently, there will be no direct contact in different services. Of course the services will be available with previous agreement," said Audzišs.
"We will also focus on security measures in social care centers, and we will re-establish on-call groups in nurseries. Accordingly, if the parents do not have a place to leave their baby, then there will be an opportunity to take them [to the on-call group]. The events organized in the municipality – both cultural and sports – are also cancelled for two weeks. We recommend that the organizers postpone them to dates after August 12," Audzišs said.
"Let us look at these two weeks – if the situation does not deteriorate, then we will remove these reinforced security measures," he added.