81% of Latvian population own their homes

Latvia's housing mix is split between 81% owners and 19% tenants according to data published by Eurostat December 30 as part of its publication Housing in Europe - 2021 interactive edition.

Latvia's level of ownership was almost the same as Estonia's, with Lithuania's level slightly higher at 88%.

In 2020, 70% of the population in the EU as a whole lived in a household owning their home, while the remaining 30% lived in rented housing. 

Home owners and tenants in EU, 2020

The highest shares of ownership were observed in Romania, where 96% of the population lived in a household that owned their home, followed by Slovakia (92%), Hungary and Croatia (both 91%).

In all Member States, except for Germany, owning is most common. In Germany’s case, half of the population lived in a household owning their home and the other half in a rented home. The shares of home ownership were lowest also in Austria (55%) and Denmark (59%). 

Just over half of the EU population lives in a house

Living in a house or an apartment also differs among the Member States, and also varies depending on whether you live in a city or the countryside. In the EU in 2020, 53 % of the population lived in a house, while 46 % lived in an apartment (1 % lived in other accommodation, such as houseboats, vans etc.). Ireland (92 %) recorded the highest share of the population living in a house, followed by Croatia (78 %), Belgium (77 %) and the Netherlands (75 %). It should be noted that this includes terraced houses.

Houses are most common in over two thirds of the Member States. The highest shares for apartments were observed in Spain (66 %), Latvia (65 %), Estonia (61 %), Greece and Lithuania (both 59 %).

In cities, 72 % of the EU population lived in an apartment and 28 % in a house. For towns and suburbs, the proportions were 59 % of people living in a house and 41 % in an apartment, while in rural areas 82 % of the population lived in a house and only 18 % in an apartment.

In Latvia's cities, just 12.5 % of the population lives in houses (the lowest level in the EU) and 87.5 % live in apartments, while in rural areas the figures are 57.5 % and 42.5 % respectively.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles
Most important

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue