Topics Topics

Airport bomb hoax suspect held

Police detained a man Tuesday under suspicion of placing the call threatening the Riga International Airport (RIX) with a bomb early Monday morning, paralyzing the hub for several hours and severely inconveniencing around 4000 delayed international passengers.

Criminal police chief Andrejs Sozinovs told the media Wednesday that the man, born in 1981, had previously been under police attention but gave no details as to the possible motivations for the damaging false phone threat he is suspected of having made early Monday. Soon thereafter the State Police posted on its Twitter feed a picture of the kind of bed he will be sleeping on.

As reported, the threat shut down RIX and forced the evacuation of all passengers and staff from the terminal building between the hours of 7:00, when the call was received, and 10:00, when the terminal opened up to full service again.

 

Later Tuesday Transport Minister Anrijs Matīss told LTV news program Panorāma that the airport would have to review its safety and evacuation procedures as it cannot afford to shut down fully for every hoax.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Society
Society

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue