Interior Minister: Several Latvians prevented from entering Syria

A number of Latvians have been prevented from entering a Near East conflict zone, Interior Minister Rihards Kozlovskis told Latvian Television Monday.

The minister said that several people have managed to enter the conflict zones, while some attempts have been thwarted. He didn't give a precise number of either.

Kozlovskis said that Latvian attempts to enter, for example, Syria, have been prevented, but it doesn't mean that these people were detained. It's that their intentions were questioned by EU or partner country institutions and so they were forbidden to go on.

Kozlovskis also said that the abilities of the Latvian security force to follow those nationals going to or returning from conflict zones are much better than those of the large countries, as "the number we're working with is incomparable". 

It was previously reported that two Latvian Muslims may have joined the ranks of IS in Syria. On Sunday evening Latvian Television's De Facto detailed the ways two Latvians may have turned to radicalism and to joining IS ranks in Syria. 

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles
Most important

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue