This year's first grass fire registered in Latvia
On February 21 the first grass fire was registered in Ugāle, western Latvia, the Fire and Rescue Service said.
"Last year's grass was burning there across 0.5 hectares. It's possible it sprang from an unattended bonfire," the rescue service said.
Hundreds of grass fires (kūlas ugunsgrēki) are registered in Latvia each year, to such extent that burning grass is sometimes referred to as a national hobby.
Seen a mistake?
Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor
Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor
Thank you. We have received your error notification