Topics Topics

Ban on unnecessary travel has not changed traveler numbers in Latvia

The ban on unnecessary entry to Latvia has not reduced the number of travelers, Latvian Radio reported February 25.

Data from the Interior Ministry show that in two weeks the ban has been in force, 64,000 Covidpass applications were submitted. Before the ban, the figure was around 30,000 a week.

Most frequent reasons listed for entry are transit, permanent return of work duty. 

These three reasons take up 97% of all. The remaining 3% are reuniting a family, medical care, funeral or accompanying a minor. 

Transit is mostly used by travelers from Lithuania, Poland, Belarus, Estonia, and Russia, whereas travel for work duties has mostly been listed by Lithuanian, Belarusian and Russian travelers, said Interior Ministry representative Jānis Dreimanis.

Government is to decide on Thursday whether to extend the ban. Previously, it was set to expire February 25. 

 

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles
Transport
Economy

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue