The criteria for the vote were that the person has to inform society about his or her opinion over various things important to Latvia. Last time a similar vote took place was in 2013.
The top 10 most influential Latvian thinkers, as seen by readers of the Satori culture portal:
- Alvis Hermanis - theater director, creative director at the New Riga Theater.
- Didzis Melbiksis - journalist, Riga consultant at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
- Ivars Ījabs - politics expert, recently made chairman of the DOTS foundation for an open society.
- Juris Rubenis - Lutheran pastor, prolific religious author.
- Juris Cālītis - pastor, founder of the Zvannieki safe home.
- Vita Matīsa - expert on politics, international relations and diplomacy.
- Inese Zandere - poet, children's books author.
- Pēteris Kļava - popular reanimatologist, opinion expert.
- Harijs Tumans - lecturer, author of books on culture.
- Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga - professor and interdisciplinary scholar, respected former President of Latvia.