On November 24 last year, the State Police completed their investigation into one of the largest murder-for-hire criminal cases in the history of the State Police.
The prosecutor has presented charges to three persons. One has been charged with incitement, in this case, ordering the murder, the other for instilling and aiding. The agency LETA previously reported that these persons were businessmen Aleksandrs Babenko and Mihails Uļmasn.
A third party, meanwhile, has been accused of committing the killing. LETA had previously reported that the shooter, from whose bullets Bunkus died, was a Russian citizen born in 1974 Viktor Krivoshev. The man has been detained by the police in Latvia.
It has been established that the motive of the murder committed by the defendants was dislike of the administrator in the performance of his professional duties.
“Evidence has been obtained that shows the professionalism of the murderers and their association with other crimes, including killings in Latvia,” Armīns Meisters, chief prosecutor of the District of Riga, previously said.
The accused are currently in custody. The Prosecutor's Office recalled that all are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
As previously reported by LSM, on May 30, 2018, insolvency administrator Mārtiņš Bunkus was shot in broad daylight in his vehicle in Rīga. Though the police said they had a large amount of evidence within months, no arrests were made until four years later.