African peacekeepers to be pulled out

Latvia's contingent serving as part of an international peacekeeping force in the Central African Republic (CAR) will return home in November, Defense Minister Raimonds Vejonis said Tuesday morning on LTV.

Despite a request from CAR authorities for the EU mission to the country to be extended by at least three months, the Latvian contingent of 40 troops would be pulled out as planned following Latvia's Independence Day celebrations on November 18, Vejonis said. 

Vejonis saw the violence in CAR at close quarters last week when fresh clashes between Muslims and Christians left at least 11 people dead and resulted in his return being delayed from an inspection trip of Latvia's peacekeepers. 

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles
Most important

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue