Four people have suffered from mushroom poisoning this season

Take note – story published 6 years and 8 months ago

On September 16 a young woman was admitted to the Riga Eastern Hospital after eating mushrooms picked and prepared by another person, becoming the fourth victim of mushroom poisoning this season, reported LTV. 

Doctors say that on a year as rich with mushrooms as this, the number of cases is relatively small.

This patient had suffered from muscarine poisoning, which is a chemical found in fly agaric mushrooms among others. 

Mycologists warn people to pick only the mushrooms they know when going to the woods to engage in Latvia's national obsession. It is some testament to the generally high levels of fungal literacy among the population that getting lost in the forest is considered a more dangerous possibility than munching the wrong mushroom.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles


Most important