The investigation alleges a member of the Daugavpils City Council was bribed LVL 200,000 (€284,574) in return for his support to sacking the Daugavpils mayor in 2009.
Kristine Sutugina, a spokeswoman for the Prosecutor General’s Office, told LETA that last week a prosecutor decided to open an investigation, overruling a decision to not start the probe, taken on March 9 by the Corruption Prevention Bureau’s investigator.
LETA reported that last year MP and former Daugavpils mayor Rihards Eigims, appearing on a commercial radio station, said current Daugavpils mayor Jānis Lāčplēsis had broken the law when Eigims was sacked.
The criminal case has been sent to the Corruption Prevention Bureau for investigation.
Latvian Television has information that the application over starting the case alleges that a bribe was given to Daugavpils councilman Grigorijs Ņemcovs, who was murdered in April 16, 2010 in central Daugavpils.