Latvian man wanted for bribery arrested in Cyprus

Take note – story published 6 years ago

Businessman Germans Miluss who was convicted in Latvia in connection with bribery in the 2005 local elections in Jurmala, has been detained in Cyprus, according to a report by Cypriot news agency CNA.

Ilze Jurevica, a spokeswoman for the Latvian State Police, told LETA that Miluss, internationally wanted since April 23, 2007, has been detained in Larnaca and that the Prosecutor General’s Office will now go through all the legal formalities to secure his extradition to Latvia. The State Police is the authority in charge of such persons’ transportation to Latvia.

Kristine Sutugina, a spokeswoman for the Prosecutor General’s Office, told LETA that a request for Miluss’ extradition will soon be sent to the Cypriot Justice Ministry.

According to the Cypriot police force, the 54-year-old man arrived at the Larnaca Airport on August 4 at 6 p.m. on a flight from Moscow.

During passport controls, it was discovered that an European Arrest Warrant has been issued against him by Latvia. He was sentenced to five years in prison for bribing a public official on March 18, 2005, reported CNA.

At midnight, the Cypriot police received a warrant for Miluss’ arrest, but the man complained about feeling bad because of high blood pressure and was taken to a local hospital.

Earlier, Latvian media reported that after fleeing Latvia, Miluss settled down in Russia, and most probably, assumed Russian citizenship.

A couple of days later a Cypriot court ruled to remand him in custody until August 10 while Latvia provides the necessary documents.

In 2007, Zemgale Regional Court found car dealer Miluss, former Jurmala mayor Juris Hlevickis and candidate councilor Gvido Harijs Volburgs guilty of attempted bribery. The above persons had tried to bribe Jurmala City Council member Ilmars Ancans in order to secure his vote in Hlevickis’ favor in Jurmala’s local elections.

Hlevickis and Miluss were sentenced to five years behind bars and Volburgs received a three-year suspended prison term.

Miluss was absent from his sentencing in court, and his whereabouts until this time remained unknown.

In March 2015, Miluss was put on the international manhunt system. Latvia’s TV3 commercial TV channel reported that same year that Miluss was living in Russia and has probably become a Russian citizen.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles


Most important