"Based on the results of the service inspection conducted by the Ministry of Defense and the opinion of the disciplinary investigation commission, one official related to the procurement... was given the disciplinary penalty of dismissal," said a statement from the Ministry.
It did not name the individual who has been fired.
"In its opinion, the Disciplinary Investigation Commission found a disciplinary violation in the actions of this official, which is related to the non-fulfillment of official duties, as a result of which substantial damage has been caused to the interests of the state. The specific official had previously been suspended from his position for the duration of the disciplinary investigation," the statement said.
As previously reported by LSM, two officials had been suspended in connection with the investigation, which centers on suspected unfair food procurement practises for the National Armed Forces (NBS) during the tenure of then-Defense Minister Artis Pabriks. His successor, Ināra Mūrniece, has promised to get to the bottom of the matter. The Corruption Prevention and Combating Bureau (KNAB) launched an investigation on March 3 during which three persons were detained.