Victory monument in Rīga fenced due to 'safety concerns'

The monument complex at Victory Park has been deemed unsafe and the municipality has therefore cordoned it off on April 11, said the Rīga City Council.

According to the opinion of the City Development Department of Riga City Council, the monument complex in Victory Park has deteriorated and is regarded as unsafe for the population. The site is enclosed so that it does not pose a threat to the population in relation to the inappropriate technical condition. Incidentally, the decision comes at the same time active debate is ongoing on the dismantling of the Soviet symbol, and the controversial May 9 celebration surrounding it has been banned.

The Construction control board of the City Development Department has carried out a survey of the site on March 31 and April 5, 2022. The monument was previously surveyed in 2018 when it was concluded that certain plates of supporting walls were damaged, as well as some of the steps. It was already concluded in 2018 that, in order to ensure safety, temporary enclosures should be installed in areas where plates could fall.

The technical state of the facility has deteriorated further, the City Development Department found. The plates have already fallen in many places, and the existing plates are rusty. Cracks are found in the walls and plates in front of the monument.

If necessary, the Construction control authority will decide on further measures to ensure that the building complies with safety requirements, said the City Council.

 

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles
Most important

Please be aware that the LSM portal uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you agree that we may store and use cookies on your device. Find out more

Accept and continue