Latvia's firefighters remind public about safety during holiday season

The State Fire and Rescue Service (VUGD) issued a reminder December 1, asking the public to take care of fire safety over Advent, Christmas and New Year celebrations.

In order to avoid a fire from a lighted candle, the VUGD urges people to remember that:

  • the candles must be placed securely on a non-combustible surface and not in the vicinity of other sources of heat, such as radiators, furnaces or fireplaces;
  • a burning candle creates high temperatures and must therefore be located at a safe distance from combustible objects, furniture, fabrics, curtains, etc.;
  • burning candles must not be left unattended;
  • candles are very dangerous to place in the Christmas tree, as fir or ornaments can easily ignite.

VUGD stresses that one of the most common causes of fires is the misuse of heating equipment, so when heating a stove or fireplace during the holidays, firefighters urge safety rules to be followed.

Special caution should be exercised when pyrotechnic articles are used, especially taking into account distance from houses, correct setup and wind conditions. Infringement of the rules on the use of pyrotechnic equipment may turn the festivities into a tragedy, indicates VUGD.

Electrical lights are also prone to causing fires if used incorrectly. Before setting them up, one must consult the manual to see whether they are meant for use indoors or outdoors, and whether they are waterproof.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles


Most important