The award is the highest honor given out by the Latvian government and the second-highest award after the Order of the Three Stars, which is give out by the President.
In 2023, the Cabinet of Ministers Award will be presented to:
- Major Jānis Slaidiņš , Chief of the Intelligence Information Collection and Analysis Department of the National Guard's Management and Headquarters;
- Academician of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Chemistry Pavels Arsenjans;
- Director of the Riga Classical Gymnasium, Romans Alijevs;
- 'Nāc līdzās!' charity worker Sarma Freiberga;
- The 'Centrs Marta' organization for preventing violence against women
- Writer Alberts Bels.
Theprize winners will each receive an Honorary Diploma, a badge and a cash prize of 7,115 euros. The award ceremony will take place at a later date. The Cabinet of Ministers Award was established in 1995 and no more than six awards can be made each year. The recipients are decided by a seven-person jury and confirmed by the Cabinet itself.
The Latvian-language video below gives a history of the awards.