The State Fire and Rescue Service (VUGD) received a call to Jelgava Palace on Monday, January 29 after 10 in the morning. Smoke had formed in the attic of the castle. Firefighters and rescuers survey the premises to find out the cause of the smoke.
Eyewitness videos circulating on the internet show flames from a chimney or ventilation on the roof of the castle.
University spokeswoman Renāte Silkalne said that all staff, faculty, and technicians had successfully evacuated.
Latvian University of Biosciences and Technology is located in the historic building of Jelgava Palace.