Broadcast watchdog head has second thoughts over leaving

Dace Ķezbere, the head of the National Electronic Mass Media Council (NEPLP), will not step down from her positions, while parliament human rights and public affairs committee head Artuss Kaimiņš (KPV LV) said he will initiate a dismissal procedure.

In July, Ķezbere said that she was considering stepping down from the position and would announce her final decision at the committee's meeting on September 9.

Ķezbere said September 9 that she will not step down because she cannot afford not to ensure the council's further operations - one of the council's members is on a business trip, another one will go on a trip in a week, other council members have their vacations coming up.

The NEPLP head said she did not know what the situation will be like in November and December. Also, some changes might be brought along with adoption of the new public media law.

Meanwhile, Kaimiņš said that Ķezbere's decision is an unpleasant surprise. "I believe she may not continue work at NEPLP both due to reputation and professionalism," said Kaimiņš. He will propose the committee and cooperation partners to initiative a procedure of dismissal.

As reported, Justice Minister Jānis Bordāns (New Conservative Party) said earlier that Ķezbere should be dismissed from the NEPLP.

The Latvian Journalists' Association earlier turned earlier to Saeima, claiming that NEPLP members be fired. The association is asking Saeima to assess NEPLP members' performance as soon as possible, as well as to introduce a new public media management system.

    Related articles
    Society
    Society