Claim about Latvian injured in St Petersburg blast rejected

Russian authorities have denied reports over a Latvian citizen being injured in in the St Petersburg terrorist attack of April 3rd. It has emerged however that a Latvian resident suffered a heart attack, it is assumed, close to the location of the blast site.

As reported previously, Russian news agency TASS, citing health official Valery Kolabutin, said citizens of Belarus, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Latvia were among those being treated in St Petersburg's hospitals.

On April 5 Latvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raimonds Jansons confirmed to rus.lsm.lv he had no information that any Latvians were among the injured. He said the Foreign Ministry distances itself from pronouncements by foreign media.

While St. Petersburg's city website, citing Russia's EMERCOM data, said that the three foreigners among the injured are from Belarus, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

The EMERCOM hotline told rus.lsm.lv that no other foreigners are listed as being injured.

It emerged however that a Latvian resident suffered a heart attack, it is understood, close to the location of the blasts, discovered LTV7's correspondent Viktorija Terentjeva.

He was taken to the hospital but improved quickly and has now been released.

Related articles
0 comments
Comment
Comment using your social media profile
Society
Society