Farmers estimate flood losses at 50 to 60 million euros

Take note – story published 6 years and 8 months ago

Floods caused by heavy rain may have caused up to 50 to 60 millions of euros worth of damage to this year's harvest, Juris Lazdiņš, head of the Farmers' Saeima association told LTV on September 19.

Ongoing floods caused by heavy rain are causing farmers trouble to harvest their crops with the risk that significant parts of their crop will be left to rot on the fields.

An estimated 80% of this year's grain crop has been harvested, with the remaining 20% still standing on the fields. Farmers say they may not be able to harvest all of it. This year's grain crop is estimated at 2 million tons, said Lazdiņš. 

He said farmers are hoping for EU support. 

The Agriculture Ministry is considering to turn to the European Commission together with Estonia and Lithuania, also hit by floods.

Several roads have been submerged under water and some houses have been flooded in Vidzeme, mirroring the situation after the rainfall in late August when swaths of roads were washed away by water. 

Many streets of Riga were submerged on September 18 with traffic barely able to get through.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles

More

Most important