Interior Minister: No threat of 'Cologne incidents' for Latvia

Latvia will be able to handle the refugee number stipulated by the EU quota, and there is no threat in the country for incidents similar to Cologne where mass attacks on women happened on New Year's Eve, Interior Minister Rihards Kozlovskis told Latvian Television Thursday.

Kozlovskis said that as of now the total number of refugees Latvia would accept under the EU plan has gone through the Mucenieki asylum seeker center this year.

He said that a large influx of people is not expected so Latvia faces no threat for incidents like those in Germany to happen. 

He also said that Latvia has sent info to Greece as to what refugees Latvia would want to accept, and even though there are no guarantees, Latvia will continue insisting on its criteria.

Kozlovskis tentatively moved the previously announced date of arrival of the first refugees - January - saying that they'll perhaps arrive in late January, and February now seems likelier.

The Latvian government and the Latvian parliamentary committee on European affairs have supported the plan by the President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, for dealing with the migration crisis in Europe under which Latvia would admit from 531 up to 776 asylum seekers.

Society
Society