Municipalities in each planning region were also celebrated as the winners of their respective groups – Ādaži for Riga planning region, Kocēni for Vidzeme region, Līvāni for Latgale region, Alsunga for Kurzeme region and Tērvete for Zemgale planning region.
In the third round of the competition, following ten remote presentations given by local municipalities, the competition evaluation committee awarded the highest number of points to those municipalities that demonstrated their persistent work in 2020, improving services and offer for families according to their capabilities and individual situation, as proven by the feedback from the inhabitants of the municipalities.
"The winner of 2020 – Ludza municipality – stands out with its openness to diversity of views, care for a well-designed infrastructure and its accessibility, motivates pupils and students, as well as new specialists of their respective fields, all of which facilitates the return of ex-patriate Latvians to their municipality," organizers of the competition said.
"The municipalities highlighted in this competition have great experience in creating a family-friendly environment that will be useful as a source of inspiration for other municipalities. According to the competition’s evaluation committee, Ludza municipality has listened to its residents, evaluated the findings of last year's competition, and this is reflected in its growth and success in 2020,” said Zaiga Pūce, Director of the Society Integration Fund while congratulating this year's winners.
The goal of the Social Integration Fund is a cohesive society in which everyone, with their participation, promotes a strong and child-friendly environment around them. The competition “Most Family-Friendly Municipality" is one of the ways for achieving this goal. This year, 9 municipalities have been honoured in the competition, with 5 municipalities receiving special prizes from the supporters of the competition.
Competition nominations and prizes:
- Ludza municipality – “Most Family-Friendly Municipality in Latvia 2020”, money prize of 25,000 euros.
- Ādaži municipality – “Most Family-Friendly Municipality in the Riga planning region 2020”, money prize of 12,500 euros.
- Kocēni municipality – “Most Family-Friendly Municipality in Vidzeme planning region 2020”, money prize of 12,500 euros.
- Līvāni municipality – “Most Family-Friendly Municipality in Latgale planning region 2020”, money prize of 12,500 euros.
- Alsunga municipality – “Most Family-Friendly Municipality in Kurzeme planning region 2020”, money prize of 12,500 euros.
- Tērvete municipality – “Most Family-Friendly Municipality in Zemgale planning region 2020”, money prize of 12,500 euros.
Additional nominations and awards:
- Krāslava municipality – “Most Friendly Municipality in Latvia 2020 for the Honorary Family Certificate”, 5,000 euros.
- Brocēni municipality – “For Special Attitude and Openness to Families”, 2,500 euros.
- Stopiņi municipality – “For Special Support for New Parents”, 2,500 euros.
- Līvāni municipality (for Līvāni 1st secondary school) – “For Significant Contribution to Ensuring the Educational Process and Successful Cooperation with Students and Their Families”, 2,500 euros.