1 November 2022 will mark the 100th anniversary of the establishment of Latvijas Banka, the Latvian central bank. The centenary of the central bank will be celebrated throughout 2022 by looking back to the past performance and outlining future challenges.
"What are our aspirations for Latvijas Banka for the next hundred years? One thing is certain – we'll experience many changes. But I'm sure that the foundations of the bank will remain the same – to be reliable, smart, and independent. To serve the common good. Let's celebrate this year together. Let's celebrate through action. Action driven by our hearts, and made possible with our minds," said Mārtiņš Kazāks, Governor of Latvijas Banka.
Some of the planned events are as follows:
- during the Visitors' Month in May, the central bank's doors will be open (conditional on epidemiological situation) to anyone interested in participating in a guided tour focusing on the architecture of Latvijas Banka's buildings, the past and present of the institution, as well as take part in creative workshops and other activities;
- from May to December, an exhibition "From Ventspils to Valka" will visit nine cities of Latvia which were once home for branches of the central bank. The exhibition will bring back memories of the places and buildings, as well as events and personalities that played a significant role in Latvijas Banka's operation from 1922 to 1940;
- in October, an exhibition "Our Values", whose leitmotif is money as a significant symbol of Latvia's image and national values, will be open at the Latvian National Museum of Art and will run for almost four months;
- in November, a scientific publication dedicated to the centenary of Latvijas Banka will be presented; its author is historian Ineta Lipša and scientific editor – historian Aivars Stranga. Examining previously unexamined and unpublished sources, the book will present the management of Latvijas Banka in decision-making processes and in interactions with other institutions and their leaders, starting from the establishment of Latvijas Banka in 1922 until its liquidation in 1940 as a result of the Soviet occupation;
- in its anniversary year, Latvijas Banka will continue its tradition of organising a high-level international economic conference under the sign of the centenary. This year's conference will be held on 3 November. The themes to be discussed at the conference with the participation of euro area monetary policy makers are as follows: the future mandate of the central banks and its impact on the central bank strategy; the changing role of the euro, the future and digital currency; the role and transformation of the financial sector
Detailed information on both the centenary of Latvijas Banka and the planned events is available on the website https://www.bank.lv/en/about-us/latvijas-banka-100.
Meanwhile Latvia's parliament, the Saeima, on January 25 unveiled a new logo that will be used to mark its own centenary, which incorporates a stylized lilac flower into its design.
🌸💯 Atzīmējot Saeimas simtgadi, radīts īpašs logotips. Tā centrā ir stilizēts ceriņa zieds, ko ieskauj parlamenta Sēžu zāles izkārtojums amfiteātra formā. Šis ir sveiciens Saeimas simtajā gadadienā, kam par godu radīta arī jauna, Latvijā selekcionēta ceriņu šķirne.#Saeima100 pic.twitter.com/Bs0JUwfkOy— Saeimas ziņas (@Jekaba11) January 25, 2022
The Saeima convened for its first ever sitting on November 7, 1922 at 12.00. With the convening of the parliament, the basic law of the State of Latvia or the Satversme (Constitution) also entered into force, which determined the principles that still govern the political system today. Updates on the activities to mark the Saeima's centenary will appear at a special Saeima sub-site.