Latvian Radio broadcasts resume after fire broke out Friday

The Latvian Radio building had to evacuate employees due to smoke in the house on Friday, January 5, and airshows were suspended.

State Fire and Rescue Service (VUGD) told the agency LETA that at 13:31 VUGD received a call to Doma Square, where smoke had developed in the eight-storey public building.

Rescuers searched the building for the cause of the smoke and evacuated people from it.

At 15:16, the Head of Latvian Radio News Service Uģis Lībietis issued an emergency statement on the radio, indicating that firefighters had determined the cause of the fire and the fire was localized. 

It turned out that the building's second-floor wall was burning in an area of 8 square meters.

It has been determined that when the wall finish was dismantled there was a spark and the insulation started to smolder.

A total of just over 100 people evacuated from the building. To make sure the burning was stopped, the partition wall was dismantled and the covers were tested with a thermal chamber.

Latvian Radio broadcasts resumed at 16.

Seen a mistake?

Select text and press Ctrl+Enter to send a suggested correction to the editor

Select text and press Report a mistake to send a suggested correction to the editor

Related articles


Most important